Here’s a quick snapshot of what our meals have looked like since we set down our packs in Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand:
We wake up late here in Chiang Mai. Our main meal of the day is breakfast, and that usually happens anywhere between 2 and 4pm. For the first meal of the day, I start it with a cuppa tea, the American with coffee. We like to eat eggs on toast, or croissants with fruit, or a bowl of fruit, yoghurt and muesli.
Dinner has tended to be something Thai or Indian, somewhere within the Old Town. I have a favourite Indian place that makes a spicy dum aloo (potato curry) with garlic naan.
My favourite restaurant is the Bam Boo Cafe on Ratvithi Road: I love the vibe, the food and the liveliness. The hostess, Thom, is a dead-set riot. She has one of those infectious personalities and loves connecting people. She’s fascinating to watch when in full-flight. I love their vegetable fried rice, and usually pair it with a mango and lime fruit shake. Occasionally, we’ll stop by one of the street vendors making rotees for dessert — banana pancakes with chocolate sauce and a touch of condensed milk on top. Yum!
Food here is pretty cheap, but it can be a gamble — you never really know what you’re going to get. The other day, a lady forgot our order so she just made it up. True story. For those who want hard numbers, this should give you an idea:
- Fruit shakes – 35 Baht (US$1.15)
- Vegetable fried rice – 50 Baht ($1.66)
- Pad Thai – 50 Baht ($1.66)
- Banana pancake with chocolate sauce and condensed milk – 20 Baht ($0.66)
- Dum aloo – 60 Baht ($2)
- Garlic naan – 40 Baht ($1.33)
- White rice – 10 Baht ($0.33)
- Paddle Pop ice cream – 8 Baht ($0.26)
- Caffè latte – 50 Baht ($1.66)
- Small baguette – 10 Baht ($0.33)
- Chang beer – 40 Baht ($1.33)
- Large pot of tea – 50 Baht ($1.66)
- Small bottle of Coke Zero – 17 Baht ($0.56)
I just read a post today by Nomadic Matt called 30 coffeehouses to visit in Chiang Mai, that I stumbled upon on Twitter. Looks like I’m going to develop quite the caffeine habit as I make the rounds!