I first heard about the Life List concept via Maggie Mason of Mighty Girl. It’s not a bucket list: there’s a real sense of impending doom about those. The Life List is positive. It’s about embracing freedom and adventure and doing the things I want. These are the collective experiences I would love to achieve in my lifetime.
MY LIFE LIST
(In no particular order)
- Visit India for the Holi Festival
- Ride bikes around Gotland, an island off the coast of Sweden
Take in a match at the Nou Camp in Barcelona
Update: Completed (December 2011).
- Make one night a week ‘Date Night’
- Start my own business
- Attend a cooking class
- Be the only person on a desert island (for a few hours)
- Host a fabulous birthday party for someone
- Become a dual citizen
- Learn how to surf
Live downtown in San Francisco
Update: Completed (2010 -2012).
- Make a bouquet for a bride
- Climb Croagh Patrick
- Buy a porch swing
- Learn how to play bass
See Paul McCartney perform live
Update: Completed (July 2010).
- Sail somewhere on a boat
- Take German classes
Update: Started. I’m not anywhere close to fluent, but I’m learning.
- Live in Europe
- Be a contestant on Jeopardy!
- Become an ‘expert’ in something
- Make an article of clothing
Fly on one of the world’s most dangerousairlines
Update: Completed. We survived our Lao Airlines flight fom Luang Prabang to Phnom Penh and lived to tell the tale.
- Make a cake/cupcakes from scratch (including the icing!)
- Compete in a triathlon
- Spend an afternoon getting a pedicure and a manicure
- Take tea in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony
- Spend an afternoon in a European cafe, enjoying Kaffee und Kuchen
- Have my own study/work space
- Live and work on a beach in Thailand
- Write a song
- Borrow a puppy for a day
- Sit for a portrait
- Live off the grid in New Zealand
- Pick fruit from the source
- Go camping in Yosemite
- Try Nackt wandern (you only live once!)
- See the Aurora Borealis
- Walk the entire length of Geary Boulevard, from Market Street to the ocean
- Take a photography class
- Hug a penguin
- Sleep in a treehouse (like in Sweden’s Treehotel)
- Pick wild flowers from a field
- Take a creative writing class
- Learn how to make sushi
- Have a cuppa tea with: Maggie Mason, Megan Hunt, Katherine Hull-Kirk, Jens Lekman,
Darren Hanlon, Paul Gilmartin, Maria Bamford
- Host my own High Tea with fresh sandwiches, pots of tea and good conversation
- Go on safari in Africa
Gather the courage (despite my horrendous physical aversion to them since school) to try brightly coloured tights
Update: Completed. And I haven’t worn them since!
- Get married again! (to the same bloke)
- Adopt a puppy
- Write a book
Treat myself to something beautiful from Miette in San Francisco
Update: Completed (2012).
- Get paid to write for a living
- Jump off a waterfall
- Attend a Sound of Music singalong
- Milk a cow
Be a Jedi for a day
Updated: Completed (2012).
Experience a ride in a hot balloon
Update: Completed (2009).
- Learn how to throw pottery
- Paint a picture
- Grow a plant from a seed
- Run a 5km race
- Take a lesson on the trapeze
- Go on a Star Gazing tour
- Find an artistic/creative partner
- Attend a Ballet Gala
- Make my bedroom the perfect place to rest and recharge
- Go back to school
- Walk the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
- Visit Germany (again)
- Learn how to sail
- Take a personal finance class
- Learn to code
- Make a small quilt
What would be on your Life List?
What are types of things that inspire you and that you hope to achieve in your lifetime?