I first heard about the Life List concept via Maggie Mason of Mighty Girl. It’s not a bucket list: there’s a real sense of impending doom about those. The Life List is positive. It’s about embracing freedom and adventure and doing the things I want. These are the collective experiences I would love to achieve in my lifetime.
MY LIFE LIST
(In no particular order)
- Visit India for the Holi Festival
- Ride bikes around Gotland, an island off the coast of Sweden
Take in a match at the Nou Camp in Barcelona
Update: Completed (December 2011).
- Make one night a week ‘Date Night’
- Start my own business
- Attend a cooking class
- Be the only person on a desert island (for a few hours)
- Host a fabulous birthday party for someone
- Become a dual citizen
- Learn how to surf
Live downtown in San Francisco
Update: Completed (2010 -2012).
- Make a bouquet for a bride
- Climb Croagh Patrick
- Buy a porch swing
- Learn how to play bass
See Paul McCartney perform live
Update: Completed (July 2010).
- Sail somewhere on a boat
- Take German classes
Update: Started. I’m not anywhere close to fluent, but I’m learning.
- Live in Europe
- Be a contestant on Jeopardy!
- Become an ‘expert’ in something
- Make an article of clothing
Fly on one of the world’s most dangerousairlines
Update: Completed. We survived our Lao Airlines flight fom Luang Prabang to Phnom Penh and lived to tell the tale.
- Make a cake/cupcakes from scratch (including the icing!)
- Compete in a triathlon
- Spend an afternoon getting a pedicure and a manicure
- Take tea in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony
- Spend an afternoon in a European cafe, enjoying Kaffee und Kuchen
- Have my own study/work space
- Live and work on a beach in Thailand
- Write a song
- Borrow a puppy for a day
- Sit for a portrait
- Live off the grid in New Zealand
- Pick fruit from the source
- Go camping in Yosemite
- Try Nackt wandern (you only live once!)
- See the Aurora Borealis
- Walk the entire length of Geary Boulevard, from Market Street to the ocean
- Take a photography class
- Hug a penguin
- Sleep in a treehouse (like in Sweden’s Treehotel)
- Pick wild flowers from a field
- Take a creative writing class
- Learn how to make sushi
- Have a cuppa tea with: Maggie Mason, Megan Hunt, Katherine Hull-Kirk, Jens Lekman,
Darren Hanlon, Paul Gilmartin, Maria Bamford
- Host my own High Tea with fresh sandwiches, pots of tea and good conversation
- Go on safari in Africa
Gather the courage (despite my horrendous physical aversion to them since school) to try brightly coloured tights
Update: Completed. And I haven’t worn them since!
- Get married again! (to the same bloke)
- Adopt a puppy
- Write a book
Treat myself to something beautiful from Miette in San Francisco
Update: Completed (2012).
- Get paid to write for a living
- Jump off a waterfall
- Attend a Sound of Music singalong
- Milk a cow
Be a Jedi for a day
Updated: Completed (2012).
Experience a ride in a hot balloon
Update: Completed (2009).
- Learn how to throw pottery
- Paint a picture
- Grow a plant from a seed
- Run a 5km race
- Take a lesson on the trapeze
- Go on a Star Gazing tour
- Find an artistic/creative partner
- Attend a Ballet Gala
- Make my bedroom the perfect place to rest and recharge
- Go back to school
- Walk the Camino de Santiago de Compostela
- Visit Germany (again)
- Learn how to sail
- Take a personal finance class
- Learn to code
- Make a small quilt
What would be on your Life List?
What are types of things that inspire you and that you hope to achieve in your lifetime?
Holi is an incredible time to visit India and I was lucky enough to be there last year. When I move back home and settle down I plan on hosting an annual Holi celebration. What a beautiful way to celebrate the colors and life that spring brings us each year!
I will take some classes with you, I’ve always wanted to take a cooking class too. Also do you want to get married to the same person again or someone else?
Awesome! I had thought it’d be nice to take a class that’s pretty practical (and non-meaty). We should look into doing something… Miette had some classes, but they were a few hundred dollars to learn how to bake one of those fancy cakes.
And when I said I want to get married again, it’s to the same bloke! HA! The Vegas Adventure was awesome, but I don’t remember anything about the actual ceremony, aside from Elvis playing us an exerpt from Men At Work’s “Land Down Under”…
What would be on your list?
Pingback: What is the Life List? « The Rebecca Project
Pingback: Post #56: Decisions, Decisions… « The Rebecca Project
Fantastic list and good luck I hope you will make all of your goals.
As for you to learn german, so cool, I was sooo bad in school, so kudos to that.
Pingback: Are you miserable? Do something about it! «
Be a Jedi?! Why are there no pictures? I must know how that one was completed. 🙂