G’day and welcome to The Rebecca Project!
I’ve spent a good part of the last seven years living in the heart of San Francisco in less than 375 square feet with an impressive collection of overdue library books. Most recently, there was a stint in Chicago — a city that has some of the nicest people I’ve met. Currently I’m in Sydney, having swapped -12C days for ones over 30C. It’s a vagabond existence at times, but I like it.
In my free time, I enjoy making short films and documentaries, taking German language classes, writing, wandering the city with my camera, and blissing out at yoga. I have a terrible case of the Cultural Cringe, can’t get enough of a good cuppa tea with Scotch Finger bikkies, and Netflix tells me I enjoy foreign movies with a strong female lead. One day, I hope to successfully order from a drive-through without having to put on an American accent.
For more info on how I started travelling and how this blog came about, check out the About the Blog page.
THE EXPAT EXPERIENCE
The Emotional Rollercoaster of Expat Life
This is a five-part series about the emotional component of the expat experience: leaving home, settling in and the issues faced in adjusting to life in a new country.
Here’s a handful of posts I’ve written about:
- In Transit
- Adapting to Life as an Expat
- On Dealing with Things when they Don’t Work Out
- A Cultural Disconnect
Life in San Francisco
- On Seeing a Plane Crash at SFO
- The Start of Summer in San Francisco
- I Left My Heart in San Francisco
- Where to Find Aussie Food in the Bay Area
- Packing Up My Life (Again!)
- Fleet Week in SF
- A New Adventure
- Plane Spotting at SFO
- Eat Good, Feel Better, Do Best
- The Brown Twins of San Francisco
- Walking California
- The Characters of My Neighbourhood
- A Day on the Bay
- Only in San Francisco
- A Week in Photos
- Independence Day – Part 1
- The Obligatory California New-Agey Granola Epiphany
- A Visit to Wine Country
- Celebrating Australia Day, Stateside
Life in Chicago
- The Polar Vortex 2014
- Dressing for Winter: 11 Things I’ve Learned Living in the Cold
- A Very Visual Christmas
- Thoughts on the Holiday Season
- Life, Currently.
- The Forlorn Cantina
- Randomly Running into Famous People? Check!
- Chicago Skyline
- Three Things
- The First Snow of the Season
- Chicago Blues
- Autumn in Chicago
- Preparing for the First Snowfall
- Rebecca Goes to Vote!
- Chicago Skyline
- The End of my Chicago Summer
- Summer in Chicago
- …And Then We Moved to Chicago
Life in South East Asia
- Tasting Herbal Teas in Chiang Mai
- Culinary Adventures in Chiang Mai
- Wats, Wats and More Wats
- And Then You Turn a Corner
- Pets in Thailand
- Back on the Khao San Road
- Help! I’m Stuck on Koh Samui without Power
- Greetings from Penang
- Greetings from Singapore
Life in Australia & New Zealand
- Heading Home to Reconnect with Myself
- The 2013 Archibald Prize at the Art Gallery of NSW
- Life in Sydney
- A Day on the Golf Course
- From a Land Down Under
Life in Ireland
And what about yourself?
Shoot me an email at TheRebeccaProject [at] gmail [dot] com and introduce yourself. I’d love to hear more about you!