G’day and welcome to The Rebecca Project!
I’m Rebecca J. Richardson, an enthusiastic Aussie expat living in the charming city of Chicago. I find it rather awkward to talk about myself in the third person, so here’s a little more about me in the first.
I’ve spent a good part of the last six years living in the heart of San Francisco with my husband (the American), in 375 square feet and with an impressive collection of overdue library books. In October 2012, we packed it all in to chase the scent of our lost youth along the Banana Pancake Trail in South East Asia. It was a trip where almost everything that could go wrong, did, but we both made it back alive.
Since returning to the United States, we have relocated to Chicago for a new challenge. For us, it’s about starting over (again) and seeing where this new adventure can take us (but I am taking bets on how much of a Chicago winter I can handle before I flip out and beg to be airlifted somewhere warmer).
In my free time, I enjoy making short films and documentaries with the American, taking German language classes, writing, wandering the city with my camera, and blissing out at yoga. I have a terrible case of the Cultural Cringe, can’t get enough of a good cuppa tea with Scotch Finger bikkies, and Netflix tells me I enjoy foreign movies with a strong female lead. One day, I hope to successfully order from a drive-through without having to put on an American accent.
For more info on how I started travelling and how this blog came about, check out the About the Blog page.
THE EXPAT EXPERIENCE
The Emotional Rollercoaster of Expat Life
This is a five-part series about the emotional component of the expat experience: leaving home, settling in and the issues faced in adjusting to life in a new country.
Here’s a handful of posts I’ve written about:
- In Transit
- Adapting to Life as an Expat
- On Dealing with Things when they Don’t Work Out
- A Cultural Disconnect
Life in San Francisco
- On Seeing a Plane Crash at SFO
- The Start of Summer in San Francisco
- I Left My Heart in San Francisco
- Where to Find Aussie Food in the Bay Area
- Packing Up My Life (Again!)
- Fleet Week in SF
- A New Adventure
- Plane Spotting at SFO
- Eat Good, Feel Better, Do Best
- The Brown Twins of San Francisco
- Walking California
- The Characters of My Neighbourhood
- A Day on the Bay
- Only in San Francisco
- A Week in Photos
- Independence Day – Part 1
- The Obligatory California New-Agey Granola Epiphany
- A Visit to Wine Country
- Celebrating Australia Day, Stateside
Life in Chicago
- Autumn in Chicago
- Preparing for the First Snowfall
- Rebecca Goes to Vote!
- Chicago Skyline
- The End of my Chicago Summer
- Summer in Chicago
- …And Then We Moved to Chicago
Life in South East Asia
- Tasting Herbal Teas in Chiang Mai
- Culinary Adventures in Chiang Mai
- Wats, Wats and More Wats
- And Then You Turn a Corner
- Pets in Thailand
- Back on the Khao San Road
- Help! I’m Stuck on Koh Samui without Power
- Greetings from Penang
- Greetings from Singapore
Life in Australia & New Zealand
- Heading Home to Reconnect with Myself
- The 2013 Archibald Prize at the Art Gallery of NSW
- Life in Sydney
- A Day on the Golf Course
- From a Land Down Under
Life in Ireland
Whom I’d most like to meet:
Those on my list of ‘The people I’d love to invite to my famous candlelight suppers’ are:
- Maggie Mason: writer, entrepreneur and all-round good time girl from ‘Mighty Girl’
- Alexandra Franzen: writer, author and creative minx from AlexandraFranzen.com
- Meg Hunt: writer, entrepreneur and purveyor of style from ‘Princess Lasertron’ and ‘Hello Holiday’
- Whomever is currently in Belle & Sebastian.
And what about you?
Shoot me an email at TheRebeccaProject [at] gmail [dot] com and introduce yourself.